Sunday, August 02, 2009

Memory Lane

PORDENONE!!


How could I think that I would be able to drive past without stopping? Thankfully Kendra knows me well, and insisted that we had to spend at least one night here. I'm so glad.

Every street, around every corner, memories flooded back. I almost expected to meet myself in some of these places, or to see other members of the BCU team headed for coffee at the Bar Cristallo. I remember going with Mamma to the Peratoner or the Pasticceria San Giorgio. I could almost picture people I knew enjoying their ice cream at the next table at the Gelateria Artigiana or the Casa del Gelato. And I could see myself walking off to school from home or going into any of the myriad giornalai to buy the latest issue of Topolino.




But this time we stayed in a hotel (a Best Western no less), which placed us right in the middle of town, prime location for exploring and for visiting the open market on Saturday morning. Which we did.

I dragged Kendra to as many places as we could pack into one evening and one morning. At the speed I was walking, that was a lot!

First, a pilgrimage to our old apartment, then panino con gelato at the Gelateria Artigiana. A tour of the downtown, pointing out various stores, buildings, pasticcerie, banks, and other places that hold memories. Supper at L'Antico Cervo (now just Al Cervo), then a Skype call home for fun.

Breakfast at the Peratoner (yummy!), a walk & shop through the market, second breakfast at a bakery on Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, a trip out to the shopping on Viale Venezia (all new since we lived here), lunch in Piazza Risorgimento capped with more ice cream at the Casa del Gelato.

Arrivederci, Pordenone!

1 comment:

Frank said...

Super photos (foto fantastici!) What a great write-up of those emotional moments when you re-lived your childhood...pass the Kleenex.